The Belgian Shepherd Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A chat based forum dedicated to the Belgian Shepherd dogs of the world. Groenendael, Tervueren, Malinois & Laeknois, working or pets GSD's & cross breeds all welcome.

Aggression towards new puppy

kootenayheart

Aggression towards new puppy Empty Aggression towards new puppy

Post  kootenayheart Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:12 pm

We got a Belgian / Australian shepherd mix about a year ago - delightful girl though shy and timid - big suck - very devoted. We work long hours and thought it would be a good idea to get a "companion" for her so we went back to the same breeder and waited until his girl got preggers and had another litter - we brought the puppy home a few days ago. Most of the time they get along really well - a big relief for me. However, food and treats seem to have caused a problem - a BIG one. Our older puppy actually grabbed the new puppy by the head and was shaking him back and forth - it took my husband quite a lot of intervention to get her to stop - scared us and the poor new puppy! Is this normal and how do we prevent it from happening again? Obviously feed them separately thought that will be hard when it is 40 below 0 and we live in a trailer....just not happy about her aggression towards the new male puppy. I wish she spoke English and we could just explain that we brought him home for HER. She is very jealous - they are competing for attention. We don't want to make any major missteps. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Oh - and the new puppy pees a lot - is this normal?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 am