The Belgian Shepherd Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A chat based forum dedicated to the Belgian Shepherd dogs of the world. Groenendael, Tervueren, Malinois & Laeknois, working or pets GSD's & cross breeds all welcome.

2 posters

Anal Furunculosis

Lizzie
    Lizzie

Location : In a house surrounded by fields and sheep in Scotland

Anal Furunculosis Empty Anal Furunculosis

Post  Lizzie Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 am

My eldesy Shep recently had this. It was thanks to another forum I go on that I knew about AF. I had read about it a few months before noticing she had it or what I though was it.

Very common in the shepherd type. No real know cause although there is thoughts to it being in the blood or due to carrying a low wide tail.

Keep an eye out as it can come at any age stage.

Best way to descrie it is a wood worm type tunnel that appears around the anus. Starts off very small but it tunnels away and becomes quite large and quick. May not look much externally but it grows inwards too. Mine only looked like a small hole outside but had nearly a golf ball size cut out.

Here is a link to explain more.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Xena had Cryp surgery to remove it as it was in the very early stages. Other options are heavy meds to keep on top of it, these can be £5 per day for life.

Keep an eye out, I oticed as her Anus looked inflammed, closer look and a small hole was there about inch and a half below he anus. Looked more like a midge bite at first.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Anal Furunculosis Empty Re: Anal Furunculosis

Post  Admin Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 am

That first photo in the link looks really nasty.

Good post Betty.
    Lizzie
    Lizzie

Location : In a house surrounded by fields and sheep in Scotland

Post  Lizzie Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 am

I feel the more that know about this the better as it spreads very quickly and isnt totally treatable.

There have been some extreme cases and the tail has been removed. Some think alot of the cause is with the tail being wide and low it doesnt get the air to it so it lives in a warm and damp enviroment.

Here is some more info and tests that can be done....

Price €60
    Sample type required: blood or cheek swab

Hereditary form of anal furunculosis exists among German Shepherds and the disease is usually found in middle aged or older dog. The symptoms of the disease are severe. Inflammations around the anal area and rectum are typical and often the inflamed areas are surgically removed. The disease is treated with antibiotics, cyclosporine and corticosteroids. The cause of anal furunculosis is unknown but recent studies have revealed that it has a hereditary immunological background. It is an autoimmune disease, which can be activated by different bacterial or yeast inflammations and stress. The disease is very difficult for the dog and usually hard to treat. Over 80% of treated anal furunculosis occur among German Shepherds. This clearly indicates familial susceptibility among the breed. Recent studies have revealed that susceptibility to anal furunculosis is associated with DRB*00101 allele. This form of immunegene was found mainly in dogs that suffer from anal furunculosis. The risk of getting anal furunculosis is 5 times higher if the dog carries DRB*00101 allele. DRB*00101 homozygote catch the disease at younger age than heterozygote. Anal furunculosis is not monogenic recessive disease and it is likely that other unknown genes are involved. This means that even if a dog carries the risk allele it will not necessarily get the disease because there might be some other genetic or environmental factors that prevent the dog from having the disease. In addition some dogs that do not carry the risk allele have anal furunculosis so this also proves that there are several genetic factors behind the disease. However the DRB*00101 allele increases the risk of getting anal furunculosis and its frequency in the population should be lowered. Dogs that carry the risk allele need careful consideration before using them for breeding purposes.
    The results of the test are reported as follows:
    NORMAL: Do not carry the risk allele DRB*00101 and has therefore no increased risk of developing anal furunculosis.
    CARRIER: (Heterozygote): Carries one copy of the DRB*00101 allele and because of the dominant inheritance has therefore a risk 5 times higher of developing anal furunculosis. Carrier can also transfer the defect to approximately 50% of its progeny.
    AFFECTED: (Homozygote): Carries two copies of the DRB*00101 allele and has therefore a risk 5 times higher of developing perianal fistula than a normal dog. Sick homozygote usually develops the disease at younger age than a heterozygote. It will also transfer the gene defect to all of its progeny.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm